Central University of Kashmir
Central University of Kashmir (formerly known as the Central University of Jammu and Kashmir) was established in March 2009 with the appointment and joining of Prof. Abdul Wahid Qureshi , a noted academician and the former Vice Chancellor of University of Kashmir, as the First Vice Chancellor.
The administrative office setup at 101, Baghi-Hyder, Hyderpora in May 2009 started functioning with a skelton staff engaged on deputation/ contract basis
- Central University of Kashmir (formerly known as the Central University of Jammu and Kashmir) was established in March, 2009 with the appointment and joining of Prof. Abdul Wahid Qureshi , a noted academician and the former Vice Chancellor of University of Kashmir, as the First Vice Chancellor.
- The administrative office setup at 101, Baghi-Hyder, Hyderpora in May, 2009 started functioning with a skelton staff engaged on deputation/ contract basis.
- Substantive appointments to various administrative posts including First Registrar, Deputy Registrar, Assisstant Registrar were made in June, 2010.
- Common Entrance Test for admission to MBA, M.Sc I.T & M.A.English programmes was conducted on 19 & 20 June at 30 centers across India in colloboration with 6 other Central Universities.
- Transit Campus of the University was setup at Sonwar in August, 2010.
- A boys hostel was set up at Sonwar to facilitate the students coming from different parts of the State/Country.
- Transport facility was put up in place to facilitate the communication of students to and from the University in February, 2011.
- The work related to the demarcation of the land for University Campus at Ganderbal and preparation of Contour maps was allotted to CPWD.
- Three more Masters programmes Economics, Mathematics, Convergent Journalism and one Integrated BALLB programme were offered from Academic Session 2011.
- An Academic block of the University along with a boys and a girls hostel was established at Magarmal Bagh.
- Substantive appointments to various teaching positions in Management Studies, English, Information Technology, Law, Convergent Journalism and Mathematics were made in February, 2012.
- Three more Masters programmes Urdu, Education and Tourism Management were launched for Academic Session 2012.
- Two Integrated M.Phil / Ph.D in Management and in English programmes and LLM programme were also offered from Academic Session 2012.
- One more Masters programme Politics was launched for Academic Session 2013.
- B.Ed Programme was launched in the Academic Session 2014.
- Three more Integrated BSc/Msc programmes in Physics, Zoology and Bio-Technology were launched for Academic Session 2015.
- Two more Masters programmes M.Ed and Comparative Religions were launched for Academic Session 2015.
The University will offer innovative courses for complimenting the efforts of the already existing Universities in the State. Recruitment of the faculty and the admission of the students will be on all-India basis, adhering to reservation policy of Central Government. National-level entrance examination for admission will be held by the University at many centers across the country. The University will be having following essential features that have been conceived befitting international standards
- School system to encompass related Centres with appropriate structures for administration to facilitate Choice Based Credit System in letter and spirit. To enlarge curricular space and to encourage accelerated learning opportunities, all the programmes will be Semester based.
- With a focus on the holistic personality development of the students, all the academic programmes will be having Core, Elective, Skill-based and Social-orientation courses.
- Regular updation and revision of the curricula will be carried out in terms of
- Current knowledge
- national and international developments, and
- relevance of new ideas, concepts and knowledge to the concerned discipline.
- Aiming to assess values, skills and knowledge imbibed by students, Continuous Internal Assessment will be ensured.
- University level Centres like University-Industry-Community-Interaction Centre (UICIC), Internal Quality Assurance Cell (IQAC), Student's Guidance and Counseling Centre, ICT Facilitation Centre for teaching technology tools & website maintenance and networking of campus and departments, E-governance Facilitation Centre to coordinate electronic administration as end-to-end solution and the Student Placement Cell to be part of the University set up.
- Students to be offered 'A' Grade facilities of library, internet, cafeteria, health club, hostel and transport services. Assured scholarship to all the admitted research scholars.
- Campus to be developed on the modern design with features of green campus and energy efficient buildings. Provision for future expansion and space economy to be integral components of the plan.
- Campus to be equipped with an Integrated Security/Surveillance System using latest technological tools like Smart Cards (biometric), Electronic Intrusion Detection Systems, CCTV etc.